Linux on alternative hardware

Kyle Faber plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 12:57:46 -0700

> >   i'm tempted to get it for my ps2, so that my girlfriend can use a
> > computer anytime she likes..
> > <the server room is off limits, and my laptop requires a password aft=
er
> > the screen saver kicks in.>

I successfully booted and ploinked around with Linux for my Dreamcast, bu=
t=20
unfortunately I never got far enough to flash the modem (too many hobbies=
) to=20
dial-up and I have been so far unsuccessful in finding one of those pesky=
=20
broadband adapters for a somewhat reasonable price. =20

Reasons why DCLInux wasn't working for me:
=09No CDRWs in the house, so a new CDR was needed everytime i added new=20
software.
=09Using it on a TV was giving me a HUGE MIGRAINE
=09Dialup only access, only after flashing the modem (comes preset to dia=
l SEGA)=20
which I never did.

I ordered a DC->TV converter, and bought some CDRws, but the novelty had=20
passed.  It will come around again and hopefully I will get it going.  I=20
would be a great little box for something I'm sure ; )

=46rom the details I've read from the PS2 Linux page, it seems very limit=
ed in=20
what you can do with it and a rather handicapped version of Linux (trying=
 my=20
best to decode some market-speak mixed with phrases like "binary code for=
=20
other distros will not work with PS2Linux"  and the fact that the Linux=20
install formats the HD with no choice to the user.

Granted, I have never used it at all.  The DCLinux project is homebrew, a=
nd=20
with the new availability of a PS2 broadband adapter without the rest of =
the=20
PS2Linux kit, I would imagine a homebrew PS2 version is on the horizon.  =
It=20
is great that Sony is recognizing the market and purchasing a kit partial=
ly=20
for that reason isn't a bad idea.  (ie Let Sony make some coin in the mar=
ket=20
M$ is suing to keep down.)

I found the answer to your "surfing computer" dilemma was to turn a crapp=
y=20
laptop (p-100 32MB RAM, 1gig drive) into a thin client.  Also works for m=
e=20
when I want to work from the couch.  Her user ID auto sets all the settin=
gs=20
she needs and logs her into her account on my main workstation.  Not=20
applicable for me, but in your case it may be worthwhile to point out tha=
t if=20
you ever "userdel" her from your life, you can "userdel" her from the thi=
n=20
client as well :-)  Either that or just rename and recycle the account fo=
r=20
the next one ; )

Kyle Faber
EMR Internet