bizarre Mozilla/Konqueror behavior

Thu, 19 Dec 2002 08:45:06 -0700 (MST)

Am 18. Dec, 2002 schw=E4tzte William Lindley so:

>   Patrick> This doesn't look like valid html... which
>   Patrick> I'm sure you knew. There isn't a proper
>   Patrick> "<!DOCTYPE" string. That's all I noticed.
>
> According to my O'Reilly "HTML: The Definitive Guide," --
>
>   "Almost no one precedes their HTML documents with the SGML
>   doctype command. Because of the confusion of versions and
>   standards, we don't recommend that you include the prefix
>   with your HTML documents either."
>
> From everything I've read, over the years, my impression is you're best
> off omitting <!DOCTYPE... for HTML documents.

Read the specs.

HTML docs are a type of SGML doc. SGML docs must have the SGML declaration.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.1

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#version-info

While "the document type declaration that is mandatory at the beginning of =
each
HTML document" is taken somewhat out of context, it shows the requirement.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/conform.html#h-4.2

Admittedly, due to lazyness I don't always start my pages off with the
DOCTYPE declaration, but I know I should. I'm getting better about it.

"Immer?"
"N=F6, aber immer =F6fter."

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  "Science is like sex: sometimes something useful comes out, but
#  that is not the reason we are doing it." -- Richard Feynman