Open Source/Free Software in Maricopa Government

Gary Nichols plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 20:47:05 -0700

On Wednesday, December 18, 2002, at 01:31  PM, Derek Neighbors wrote:
> Im not so sure its sheep mentality as it is, 'no one ever got fired for
> choosing Microsoft'.

That's a given.  :)

> Can you provide a list of these errors or pages?  I am sure their
> webmasters would love to fix any problems you are finding.
> Specifically
> if there are short comings in the technology proof of it can only help
> your cause in conveying to the leadership there of the problems.

I actually jotted down quite a few while doing some research on
maricopa.gov.  Funny thing is, they are not reproduceable, which leads
me to believe they have a load-balancing scheme setup and I just
happened to hit a server with old code/faulty SQL server setup or some
such thing.  They come and go.  Very frustrating.

> I question the SOOO cheaper.  Freedom is expensive.  I would suspect
> switching away from Microsoft would likely actually be more expensive
> in
> the first year or two, but real dividends could be realized by a
> significant number in the 5 to 10 year outlook.

Exactly - and I think the majority of us were looking at the obvious
stuff - content management, web, sql, file/print, etc.
As in my current industry, there are apps that not even the big boys
can provide now (like court case management software).

> However, a phased rollout/replacement model could reap benefits
> smaller in
> number over a period of years without raising costs.

Bingo.