Open Source/Free Software in Maricopa Government

shadow plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 16:46:28 -0700

Derek Neighbors wrote:
 >>I have two words for this - Largo, Florida
 >>
 >>http://newsforge.com/newsforge/01/08/10/1441239.shtml?tid=23
 >>http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/12/04/2346215.shtml?tid=19
 >
 > In case you havent realized Largo FL and Maricopa County are two
 > drastically different entities in terms of size.  That is like saying
 > what solutions work for Gila Bend will naturally work for Phoenix.
 >
 > Going completely LTSP on a government the size Maricopa County is not
 > necessarily the most optimal move.  Largo iirc has 900 employees and
 > like 400 terminals.  Maricopa County has more around 14,000 employees
 > and probably several thousand workstations.
 >
 > Not to say LTSP wont work there, but the same setup as Largo will not
 > work.

I absolutely agree.  Even if Maricopa and Largo were the same size,
Largo's solution would not work due to thier differing organizational
structure and existing IT infrastructure.  The point I was trying to
make is that using open source software can enable the county to reduce
costs in ways that proprietary software can't even approach.

Some of the lessons learned in Largo could be directly applied to
Maricopa, such as using LTSP at a single site or for a single
department.  While many of the methods that Largo uses will not directly
translate to Maricopa, the methodology and mindset surely can to inspire
unique programs and projects here.  All in all, Maricopa would
definately have to pioneer new ground.

 >>Open Source is simply a tool that enables lower TCO.
 >
 > Free Software is not about necessarily lower TCO (though by its nature
 > thats a side benefit).  The real advantage is no vendor lockin and
 > full control of your IT services.

But again having full control leads to lower TCO in the long term,
because your IT strategy is more agile and can take advantage of changes
in tech more readily.

 >>Don't fall into the trap that the major cost savings is from the
 >>licensing, when it's really a combination of software licensing AND
 >>hardware.  Staving off off a hardware upgrade for 2-3 years with Open
 >>Source software can easily offset the cost of retraining and higher IT
 >>personnel salaries.
 >
 > Hardware savings is likely the biggest place to pick up savings in
 > such a move.

Agreed.

--
Chris Lewis