Open Source/Free Software in Maricopa Government -another view.

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 15:12:07 -0700 (MST)

J said:

> Let us take a look at a much more basic issue.
> Should we attempt to make govt function better?

Unless you like your hard earn money (that you give to them in the form of
taxes) to be used in in efficient ways you absolutely should attempt to
make your government function better.

> Let them go their merry way down the yellowbrick road of miscrosoft or
> anywhere else they choose.

At the cost to whom?

> Increasing their efficiency or capability will not cut taxes, slow govt
> growth, increase freedom,  help the poor,  or help anyone who is trying
> to  make a living outside of the govt pork barrel.

It might not cut taxes, but it likely could help them from increasing.  It
might not slow growth, but perhaps will divert growth to areas more in
need (in essence helping the poor or containing criminals etc)

> I think the wise course is to let them be, let them choke on the IT
> cancer of  their own making. It will  make for quite a show.

Yeah it makes for great show.  Look at your state legislature.  It will be
really funny when the cuts get so severe at the state that they start
releasing criminals and cutting teachers.

I understand your frustration, I am no fan of how many governments
operate, but just turning one's back on the problem does no good. (imho)