Free Mouse and KB

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
14 Dec 2002 13:10:21 -0700

On Sat, 2002-12-14 at 12:31, Gary Nichols wrote:
> With properly tuned equipment, anyone can stand outside your residence
> and watch your keystrokes from a wireless/RF/IR keyboard.

And unless you're using shielded equipment, someone can just as easily
(though not necessarily cheaply) monitor your keystrokes from your wired
keyboard, or capture screen images from your CRT monitor from some
distance.

I don't think even the most paranoid amongst us is running TEMPEST rated
equipment.

But am I mistaken in thinking that intercepting IR would require near
line-of-sight?

Then there were the interesting articles about being able to read
datastreams from the blinking of modem lights...

- Bob