Routing questions (and FreeSCO)

Dallas Helquist plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 09:15:15 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "William Lindley" <wlindley@wlindley.com>
To: "Phoenix Linux Users Group" <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2002 8:51 AM
Subject: Routing questions (and FreeSCO)

> Am trying to set up a FreeSCO ( www.freesco.org ) system as a
> router/firewall... can anyone help a little
>
> * Freesco box is to sit at a colocation site, with a subnet of
>   32 static IP's on the internal ethernet (and the rest of the Internet
>   on the other ethernet port).  So this is a "router," right?
Depends.  See below.

> * The Freesco setup is a bit confusing as I'm used to setting it up
>   for Network Address Translation (NAT) where the connection to the
>   Internet-at-large is thru a single IP on the router box... but here,
>
>   - I assume I set up the internal eth0 with the network and subnet
>     for the internal addresses (i.e., netmask 255.255.255.224)... but
>     what network and subnet do I used for the external eth1?

You mention colo, so you might want to talk to your provider.  It sounds
like they are building your subnet directly off of their switch rather than
routing it to you.  If that is the case, set up the linux box as a bridge,
or ask them if you can have the subnet routed to your box (they will then
assign a /29 or /30 to use for the eth1).

>   - Freesco setup has "NAT Masquerade and Firewall" as a single option..
>     will it do Firewalling rules *without* NAT?
No idea on the freesco side of things.  Never used it.

> Any help much appreciated,
>
> \\/
-dallas