A $199 PC with no Windows, no Intel inside

Digital Wokan plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 16:00:10 -0700

On Sunday 15 December 2002 10:29 am, Lee Levine wrote:
> A $199 PC with no Windows, no Intel inside
> Reuters
> Dec. 8, 2002 10:11 AM
>
> LOS ANGELES - Here's the pitch for what could be your next PC: No
> Microsoft, no Intel -- and almost no markup.
> By dropping software from Microsoft Corp.(Nasdaq:MSFT) and avoiding ''I=
ntel
> inside,'' retailer Wal-Mart Stores Inc.(NYSE:WMT) is offering a $199
> computer it says is a hot seller on its Web site, attracting novices
> looking for a way onto the Internet as well as high-end users wanting a
> second box.

{snip}

The catch is really the Cyrix 800 CPU.  If you're looking for horsepower,=
 this=20
thing's on par with a Celeron 400.  The big time advantage is that if you=
=20
need something low-power and low-heat producing, this thing uses maybe 1/=
10=20
the power of a normal CPU.
Basically, your hardcore gamer isn't going to consider this system (not t=
heir=20
target audience anyway), but an energy conscious person with "standard=20
computing needs" is going to be great for this.
--=20
Digital Wokan, Tribal Mage of the Electronics Age