Changing the filesystem of my root partition..

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 01:15:50 -0500

"Steven M. Klass" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>         Ok, I tried out xfs, and I think it's the culprit of my woes..  Every once in
> a while (normally when I am typing a very long email - ironically but not
> always..) I hear my hardrive sync and then everything freezes.  I have to
> hard reboot the machine to get it back to life.
[snip]

I had the same symptoms - sync and all.  I thought it was ReiserFS, and
went through the pain to migrate it to ext3.  Same problem persisted,  I
changed the CPU fan (BIG MONSTER cooler for my CPU, and started
monitoring CPU temp using the sensors package, and haven't had a problem
since.

My "once in a while" was 3-6 days.

I would go the sensors route before migrating a filesystem.

George