More Hardware questions

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 00:25:39 -0700

> I also plan on taking the memory out of the compaq! I now have the chips in my
> hot little hands and they say 'ED0'. Are those the correct chips? My
> computers chips are pc100 are they compatible? Another couple of cips say
> '2x32-60/4ED0'. Help me out here. What am I looking at?
>
> Guess what. The hard drive says on it that it's SCSI  but the CD Rom does not.
> So it appears that I can take the CD Rom but not the HD nor the memory.
> Please tell me if I am correct about the CD Rom. I'll bring the unuseable
> hardware for doorprizes at the party on the 12th.

EDO == Extendended Data Output.  This stuff predates SDRAM, which means PC100
memory will not work.  As for the numbers 2x32-60  I would guess that it is an
8MB Non-ECC (ECC == Error Correction Code and usually is noted by the a number
like 36) stick of memory that runs at 60ns access time (or is it read time,
can't remember).  Current RAM is down to less than 7ns to give you a comparison
of speed.