More Hardware questions

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 17:09:24 -0500

Hi,
    I forget what EDO stands for, but a lot of mother boards can handle
either type of memory, if you set in BIOS.  I don't think you can mix EDO and
non-EDO, though.
    The easiest way to determine a device's interface type is to look at the
connector on the back.  IDE's (all the ones I've dealt with) are almost
always 40-pin connectors.  The EIDE ones use the same connectors as the old
ones; they just need a new improved cable.  SCSI-I and SCSI-II device
connectors in the old days looked very similar to IDE connectors, but they
had 50 pins.  The newer wide SCSI drives have a high-density connector which
I think has 68 conductors.  You can buy a converter to adapt that to a 50-pin
cable, but I've never tried one so I don't know how well they work.
   Also, I've never seen a PC motherboard with an on-board SCSI interface,
but I believe they do exist - they're just not common.
   Hope that helps.

Vaughn Treude