LGPL License Questions

Voltage Spike plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 13:41:10 -0700

A friend and I have been discussing the LGPL as it might apply to an
embedded product.  We desire to link in an LGPL library to some
proprietary code such that we replace the current proprietary protocol
with an open one.

It would appear that according to provision 6(a), we need only
distribute the source code to the LGPL library and the object file to
the proprietary code (before linking).  The other provisions would be
that the license is altered to allow both modification and reverse
engineering of the end product, the copyright notice is distributed with
the project, and a copy of the LGPL is included with the product.  Have
I understood the terms properly?

Another question: If the embedded product provides no manner of updating
the product (beyond replacing a ROM), would it still be legal to use
LGPL code?  It states that our terms must allow for modification, but it
does not specify that it be technically feasible.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

--
                                                           Voltage Spike
      ,,,