Admin Question...

Thomas Tate plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 16:17:51 -0700

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002 4:07PM -0700, Jon Monts wrote:
> Is there a utility will allow a person with the correct rights spy on a
> telnet session and/or send the output a telnet session to another
> TCP/IP port?

Best util I've found for this job is ttysnoop. Freshmeat link:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/ttysnoop

I don't think ttysnoop has any method of redirecting a telnet session to
another port, though. Of course, since telnet is essentially dumping raw
text into the ether, it might be possible to tie tcpdump's raw mode to
netcat and host/port. How to do this, thoug is left as an excercise (in
pain?) to the reader.

On a side note, if you use telnet to do anything serious, such as
network admin stuff, I _strongly_ urge you to switch to OpenSSH instead
(http://www.openssh.org).

--
Thomas "Mondoshawan" Tate
mondoshawan@tank.dyndns.org