squid problem

Nathan England plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 18:10:52 -0700

Yes, I agree, but remember, this is Payson!!!
There aren't many good employees up here. It's all old fokes or teenagers=
=2E And=20
drunken drugged up teenagers at that!

We don't have a computer usage policy because we are too small of a shop.=
 It's=20
just a small computer repair/build/retailer. We only sell what we build, =
no=20
name brand pcs. Only good stuff. We're really fussy.

The things the employee is not doing is stuff like empty shipping boxes a=
nd=20
removing the pop corn. Breaking down boxes and cleaning up display cases.=
=20
Minor stuff like that, but things that need to be done none the less.=20
We are a small operation.=20

But this is the final step. After I got it all working today using squid,=
 the=20
employee seemed to be much better, and never asked why the computer would=
n't=20
allow access to the email sites.

If the employee went around my firewall, I would fire them immediately.=20
But, being a small shop, we don't really want enemies. Not when it's mino=
r=20
stuff.=20

nathan

Am 04 Mittwoch, Dezember 2002 08:31 schrieb Gary Nichols:
> > From: "Nathan England" <plug@the-arcanum.org>
> >
> > I'm trying to block a specific web adress. A computer in my office is=
 on
> > 192.168.0.5
> > I need to block that IP from going to mail.yahoo.com as the employee
> > using that computer will not stop checking email and it has begun
> > interfering with the employees work.
>
> Nathan,
>
> This is really about your computer usage policy (you do have one, right=
?).
> It all comes down to education of the user.
> If they persist in checking personal e-mail while you have a strict pol=
icy
> against it, write them up - once, twice - then three strikes they get t=
> read postings on monster.com from their home (since you've just termina=
ted
> them).
>
> There are WAY TOO MANY good employees out there looking for work right =
now
> than to put up with that.
>
> Just my 2 cents.
>
> Gary

- --=20
Nathan England

plug  at the-arcanum.org
jabber id: linuxjunkie@jabber.earth.li

"A free society is one where it is safe to be unpopular."
- --Adlai Stevenson

Registered Linux User #189789, Machine #106603
www.sincerechoice.org

Spam related material will be forwarded to:
uce@ftc.gov