Kernel building question

Liberty Young plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
03 Dec 2002 09:38:04 -0700

On Tue, 2002-12-03 at 09:22, Mark Phillips wrote:
> I need to rebuild a kernel for an old 486 laptop, but the laptop does not have
> enough hard disk space. Can I build the kernel on a Pentium or a SPARC machine
> instead and then install it on the 486? The Pentium is running redhat, but I
> want to build a debian version of linux (if that is the right way to phrase the
> comment...)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mark Phillips

Yes, it is possible. When you make the kernel (make config or make
xconfig), choose for your processor type 486. I wouldn't rebuild the
/usr/src/linux kernel though, that is the redhat kernel for your
pentium. Instead, get debian's patches to a kernel and build that, or
better yet, just download 2.4.20 from kernel.org and build a vanilla,
stock kernel.