WAV editor - now about getting it to work?

Lynn David Newton plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 22:58:02 -0700

  kg> for lame, my 'mp3cmdline' in my ~/.grip file
  kg> looks like this: mp3cmdline -q 0 -v -V 0 %w %m

  kg> it turns on variable bit rate encoding at the
  kg> highest quality. Slightly larger files, but they
  kg> sound really good.

Thank you, I'll try that.

I'm still futilely engaged in the process of trying to
find an actual WAV file editor that works. I've found
several that do not.

GNUsound looks like it will be quite good when it's
working. There are tons of impressive looking features
built into the menus. Problem is, most of them don't
work yet. I tried three or four others that just plain
don't work.

Some time ago I heard about SND, which I'm looking at
again. Supposed to be good. It's extensible with either
Guile or Ruby. Problem is, I got the RPM (though
usually I build things from source) and when I tried to
install it, rpm told me:

  error: failed dependencies:
	libguile.so.14   is needed by snd-6-0
	libXm.so.3   is needed by snd-6-0

I picked up the latest Guile, ran configure and make,
but I'm not at all inclined to install it. For one
thing, I think I'd have to rpm -e the existing
libguile, and Sawfish is dependent on that. I'm afraid
I'll find myself suddenly in a world of hurt of
unprecedented proportions.

I've struggled two days with the problem of trying to
find a real sound editor that works for me, and am
little closer than when I started. I simply don't have
a solution to this problem, and I'm stuck, with a load
of work to be done that sits stalled until I can find
one.

--
Lynn