Debian install for a desktop environment

Thu, 29 Aug 2002 18:13:59 -0700 (MST)

Am 29. Aug, 2002 schwätzte Miles Beck so:

> Which distribution would you recommend for a Debian desktop system?

Per your other email I'd recommend stable for almost all cases. A couple of
weeks after X 4.2 rolls into testing I would suggest moving to testing for
desktops if it seems stable.

> Also, what are the differences between KDE and Gnome?

I like sawfish-gnome, but KDE 3.0 is supposed to be spectacular. I don't
know if 3.0 is available for testing at this point.

> Does one have more software written for it?

I use Konqueror on a gnome desktop. I would run Galeon on a KDE desktop. It
does use more system resources if you use apps from one project on the
desktop for the other.

Konqueror starts up all kinds of crap when used in a Sawfish or
Enlightenment environment. I don't know if GNOME apps would do the same in a
KDE env.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  If you're not learning, you're not living. - der.hans