Netstumbling and US Law

Tony Wasson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:24:22 -0700

> > I have heard Netstumbling defended as 'mapping local frequencies in
use'. If
> > you are deploying your own wireless network, you'd want to make sure you
do
> > not interfere with existing networks.

> Setting up a receiver and getting a signal means find a different
> frequency.  Staying on that frequency and evesdropping is another
> matter.  That's a pretty weak defense - the last time I set up a
> wireless network, I was not driving around with a GPS mapping out all
> the WiFi networks.  I think it fails the "reasonable person" test.

IANAL. My gut tells me that should you find yourself being targeted by law
enforcement, if they don't get you on wardriving, they'll get you on
something else -- taxes if nothing else.

My fear of wireless networks is that someone will abuse many open WiFi
systems and make 'untraceable' attacks. When the law tracked down Mitnick, I
heard they triangulated on his cell phone. How will we trace someone using
WiFi to make mobile attacks? I wonder how long it will take until we hear of
'warchalking' here in the states -- marking open WiFi systems with ")(" the
mark?