Getting user input when installing and RPM

Simper, Brian D plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:19:52 -0700

Has anyone had experience with building RPM's?  I have done several small
ones but there are a few capabilities that I am finding challenging.  I am
building an RPM to install a backup program and I want the RPM script to
prompt the user for the address of their local backup server on the network.
The script acts like the "read" command did not occur at all.

In UNIX System V packaging there is a request script that lets you prompt
for input from the user at the time a package is installed.  RPM does not
seem to have this capability.  If you try to get user input inside the
"pre", "post", "preun", or "postun" sections of the RPM spec file, the
instructions are run over and the script acts as if the read command did not
appear.  Does anyone have any experience with this?

Brian