windows having trouble reading burned cd

Craig S. plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 15:17:16 -0700

ok, this really bites cause I know this is a windows problem with Joliet support. I spent the past few days putting several jpg's together with index.html files so that they can be viewed easily with a web browser. The pages work great on my system. So I make a iso with the mkhybrid command, I did it like this:

mkhybrid -r -o lab_manual html/chm151

the iso was made very nice and neat

then I burned with cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0,0 -data lab_manual

I took the cd to school to see how it works on a crappy winblows box. XP wouldn't touch the damn thing and win98 can open individual htm files but can't find any of the href tags on the cd.

instead of using <a href="table_of_contents/index.html">Table of Contents</a>

should I truncate this to something like <a href="toc/index.htm>Table of Contents</a>

would winblows read that better? I noticed that the directories are all buggered up when I take the cd to a windows system. Instead of a directory called table_of_contents I have tabl_ or something like that (I was so pissed at windows I didn't make a note of what the browser was seeing vs. what is on the disk) that the browser is looking for. Also my index files like index10.html showed up as index000.htm. WTF is going on? I kinda need to get this cd thing worked out by tomorrow afternoon so any insights would be appreciated.

Craig S.