cdrecord problem

Craig S. plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 07:15:08 -0700

> Message: 9
> Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:06:59 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Justin Halter <jeleven7@yahoo.com>
> Subject: cdrecord problem
> To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
>
> When I try to use cdrecord -scanbus  I get the
> following messages:
> "cdrecord: no such file or directory.  Cannot open
> SCSI driver", followed by, "cdrecord: for possible
> targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.  Make sure you are
> root".
> Obviously I did it as root.
> The lilo.conf file has the append="hdc=ide-scsi" line
> in it, but when I installed Red Hat 7.3, I used Grub,
> not Lilo, so I am not sure if that helps or is the
> root of the problem.
> Does anyone have insight into this problem?  thanks

> http://finance.yahoo.com

I use lilo also so I cannot answer your question with GRUB. So why am I replying? Because when I received this error while setting up my burner I went back through the kernel config and noticed that I had not turned on SCSI emulation. I had everything setup in the scsi portion but in the ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support menu there is a submenu IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices, in that submenu you will see SCSI emulation support. Make sure that it is enabled.

Also make sure you have your CD-RW drive (and any hard drives you want to do this with) mapped to SC* in the dev list. Usually CDROM is linked to a device (in your case it is probably /dev/hdb or something like that.) Make sure that that when you are done it says /dev/sc0 or whatever scsi device you want to map the CD-RW drive to.

Not sure if this was suggested already so sorry if you tried this but school has begun and time is short again.

Craig S.