large drives and old bioses

Kyle Faber plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:07:43 -0700

One of my machines at home (my file server) is a pure linux installation on a
PentPro 200 with 64ram.  Same problem with the Bios, hda is a 2gig drive that
came with the system.  hdb is a IBM120gb drive I picked up at frys.  Set the
BIOS to none, boot from the 2gigger and I am in business.  The only
difference it sounds like in our setups is that my kernel et al. resides on a
"BIOS visible" physical disk, and the 120gb is mounted "/storage".  Linux
(RH7.2/2.4.7-10stock) is handling the drive great, and everyone is the house
has a place to store their crap.  This setup has been working great ever
since I discovered Linux could handle drives that big on its own (maybe
6-8months) and I haven't had any issues at all, that I can remember.  Now I
just wish I had gig-E for my network, so I could stream the divx files
instead of DLing them.

=)
Kyle Faber
EMR Data Services