Linux At Work

Charlie Bullen plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 12:02:36 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C24B66.2324B1F0

Hello, yesterday at work, one of my co workers emailed me several MS =
word documents created with MS word from Office XP Small Business =
edition. Each file consisted of some text and 20 to 25 screen shots.  =
File sizes ranging from 450 to 800 K. I had no problem opening these in =
Open Office running under linux. If I modified the files and saved them =
in Open Office's native format, the file sizes remained about the same =
size. If I saved them in MS Word format though, the file sizes went =
through the roof. For example the 800K file went to about 25megs.=20

I haven't noticed this happening with files that contain only text, so I =
think it hassomething to do with how Open office is storing the =
graphics.  Any Idea how to reduce the file size back to a manageable =
level. I don't know how open office stores the graphics but hopefully =
there is some way of modifyng the fle type. The purpose of this is to =
create a training manual which will be used first by windows users and =
then if all goes well, linux users.

Charlie

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C24B66.2324B1F0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello, yesterday at work, one of my co =
workers=20
emailed me several MS word documents created with MS word from Office XP =
Small=20
Business edition. Each file consisted of some text and 20 to 25 screen=20
shots.&nbsp; File sizes ranging from 450 to 800 K. I had no problem =
opening=20
these in Open Office running under linux. If I modified the files and =
saved them=20
in Open Office's native format, the file sizes remained about the same =
size. If=20
I saved them in MS Word format though, the file sizes went through the =
roof. For=20
example the 800K file went to about 25megs. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I haven't noticed this happening with =
files that=20
contain only text, so I think it hassomething to do with how Open office =
is=20
storing the graphics.&nbsp; Any Idea how to reduce the file size back to =
a=20
manageable level. I don't know how open office stores the graphics but =
hopefully=20
there is some way of modifyng the fle type. The purpose of this is to =
create a=20
training manual which will be used first by windows users and then if =
all goes=20
well, linux users.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Charlie</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C24B66.2324B1F0--