need some small help with iptables

Jay plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:24:40 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, technomage wrote:

> here are the addresses I really wish to block:
>
> 65.218.172.208-223

65.218.172.208/28
255.255.255.240

> 63.99.64.64-127

63.99.64.64/26
255.255.255.192

> 65.192.*

65.192.0.0/16
255.255.0.0

> 65.118.41.192-223

65.118.41.192/27
255.255.255.224

> 63.148.99.224-255

63.148.99.224/27
255.255.255.224

> 63.64.*

63.64.0.0/16
255.255.0.0

> 209.244.*

209.244.0.0/16
255.255.0.0

> most of the "strange activities" have been related to attempted breakins
> (hacking/cracking), DoS, and other such nonsense. given stories of late in /.

If you are worried about your system's vulnerabilities or security
threats, support a local business (and PLUG members too) - hey, it only
costs $10 per IP address:

  http://www.edgeos.com

> if someone would be so kind as to help me figure out the netmask notations on
> the above, I would greatly appreciate it.

A google search for "subnetting" and/or "learn subnetting" would help out
too. It's really very simple once you understand the theory (just binary).
:)

~Jay

--
~Jay