How do I boot into text mode, without X?

Scott plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 19:24:04 -0700 (MST)

In RH, if your default window manager is kde and you want it to be gnome,
type this at the prompt:

switchdesk gnome

Now when you issue the startx command, gnome will come up instead of kde.
This also works in reverse, if you are using gnome and want to use kde,
just type:

switchdesk kde

Once nice thing about this method of switching is that your config files
for each window manager are preserved.  IE you can customize gnome, decide
to run kde for a while and then go back to gnome and all your
customizations will still be there (or vice versa).

I am not sure if this works in other distros, but it cant hurt to try it
out.

scott