Debian installation postmortem

Mark Berkwitt plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 11:20:02 -0700

Whereas using a floppy only installation failed to configure my NICs via
DHCP, using a cd with the woody-i386-1.iso file succeeded.

I cannot say how all features are working but X has a problem.
When I boot it automatically goes into X but the X window only occupies the
bottom half of the monitor's screen. This is not a monitor adjustment issue;
the visible part is highly magnified. During the installation I was given
the choice of an advanced video install where I would input the vertical and
horizontal frequencies.  I chose the "medium" option where it stated I could
select a "best" resolution and refresh rate. I selected 800x600@85Hz.
Following questions answered were:
Check all resolutions.
1. 640x480 [already selected]
2. 800x600 [which I checked]
However, I don't recall ever being asked the size of my monitor.??
Color depth was set at 8bpp,... I think; it was very late.

with no change.  Also no change when I try to change resolution. I vaguely
recall a list of servers or perhaps video cards. I didn't see the S3
Trio64v+ card option so I just chose 'vga'.

What follows are some notes I took during installation.

Configuring Gdm, xdm, kdm.  I chose kdm thinking but not knowing if it may
be related to kde.
//Yes, a shot in the dark.

Errors were encountered while processing gdm
Some errors occurred while unpacking. I'm going to comfigure the packages
that were installed. This may result in duplicate errors or errors caused by
missing dependencies. This is ok, only the errors above this message are
important. Please fix them and run [I] install again.
Packages failed to install. Retry? <Yes>
Run Tasksel? <Yes> //I didn't select anything.
Run dselect? <No>
3 packages not fully installed or removed.
Erase any previously downloaded .deb files? [Y/n] <Y>

// Well, that's about it. Any and all help appreciated.