hookup to cable modem was easy

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 08:09:14 -0400

"Craig S." wrote:
[snip]

> Are you talking about the Rainbow mag that was written primarily for the TRS-80?

Uh, no.  The Rainbow series is a series of US Military publications
which most aspects of Computer Security are based upon.

> I remember when my stepdad brought home that thing when I was like 10, I spent hours copying code from that Rainbow mag to get text based adventure games to work. Invariably they would usually fail (I guess BASIC wasn't very portable back then and I made a lot of typos) and a friend of mine and I would spend hours/days/weeks debugging the code to get the games to work. Thing was that since we knew the code the games were no fun then cause we knew how to win the game. Usually the peek (read memory address) and poke (write memory address) statements needed to be changed because the game might have been written on a box with 16k or 32k of ram so my box with a whopping 64k of ram would need to use different addresses because the TRS-80 had a funny way of allocating ram if I remember right... Ahh well, the good ol' days huh.

So you are a "traditional hacker" - one who would sit there and hack
away at their code, trying to get it to work.  What a trip down memory
lane.  The TRS-80 was one the few computers I actually took a soldering
iron to.  It had a 7 bit video memory - I added an 8th DIP chip to make
use of the lowercase characters in the character generator.

George