Apache Config Question

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 22:29:37 -0700

Bryce,

First, glance at:
  http://www.lugatgt.org/articles/apache/#htacc
  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_access.html

Those will give you an overview.  Note especially
the "order" clause that can give you non-intuitive
results.

This page seems to address what you were asking:
  http://www.rice.edu/web/access-control.html

For other references, do a Google search on
   htaccess allow deny

Normally this is handled in your httpd.conf file.

Note that if httpd.conf does not permit overriding
by the htaccess file, then the htaccess file has no
effect.  Search for "allow override" for details.

See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/security_tips.html

In httpd.conf, I think you want something like this:

 <Directory /usr/local/httpd>
     Order Deny,Allow
     Deny from all
     Allow from 999.999.999.35  (or whatever)
 </Directory>