Mandrake 8.2 clock

Craig S. plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 09:32:34 -0700

> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 20:21:14 -0700
> From: Lee Einer <appealsman@cox.net>
> To: PLUG newsgroup <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
> Subject: Mandrake 8.2 clock
>

> Hi, all-
>
> My clock does not work well under Mandrake 8.2. Each time I sign on, the
> time is either 5 hours ahead or 5 hours behind where it should be. I
> tried changing the time with the KDE gui. No dice. I can correct the
> time while under that session, but the next time I sign on, the clock
> exhibits the same problem. I checked hwclock, and verified that my
> hardware clock was keeping correct time. I tried re-setting the sytem
> time, and then doing hwclock --hctosys. No difference. I tried using the
> --localtime switch. No difference. I tried using the --utc switch.
> Again, no difference. Any insights as to how I can get this corrected?
>

> Lee Einer

I had this same problem with KDE's clock, except mine was always 12 hours off. I would reset the time and if I rebooted or did a kill sig hup the time was off again. As with you I noticed that the Hardware clock was fine though. What I did is turn on the 'enhanced real time clock support' up with the kernel. It should be under the character devices menu. I rebuilt the kernel image then and rebooted and I have never had a problem with my system clock since. I load the ertcs directly into the kernel as the program is very small and I have not noticed any appreciable slowdown with it running.

Craig S.