Growing the PLUG Web Site

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 18:44:35 -0700

I have been catching up on some old threads on the Discuss list.

Way back on July 14th, Matt Alexander wrote:
> I strongly agree that the PLUG website should have a list of
> Free/Open Source software, links, and descriptions.  If I
> could get access to the PLUG server, I'd be happy to get this
> ~M

OK, let's do it!

I have been maintaining the front page of the PLUG web site,
that is, I have been rolling the calendar.  That's about
all.  I'd love to do more, but the road to hell is paved with
good intentions ...

I think we should divvy up the site and take responsibility
for various sub-pages.  That way we wouldn't be stepping on
each other, but would be able to enrich the site and turn it
into a fantastic resource.

Anyone who REALLY wants to take ownership of a section of this
site, plus others who wish to help guide its development such
as Jim and Hans, please join the plug-webdev mailing list at:

This list has never had any reasonable amount of traffic, but
I think there are now enough ideas being advanced for the site
that it can achieve critical mass.  I will start the ball
rolling by echoing this message to plug-webdev.

Please announce what aspect of the site's development you
would like to own -- everything is negotiable.  I'd like to
speak up for the calendar part since that seems to be going
well, and the navigation bar because it is in urgent need of
fixing.  We could also hand responsibilities back and
forth using this list, so nothing languishes just because
one person got busy.  But my basic vision is that each
person will be "webmaster" for an integral, coherent part
of the site during any given period.

To avoid working at cross purposes, one player at a time
would speak up for ownership of a directory or specific
files.  I believe also that Hans has installed a source
management system, but that's too 'micro' to trust for
sole control of the site.

BTW, we should all use SSH and SCP to interact with the
site, and should change the password.  The UserID and
password has to be communicated privately to everyone
who is in charge of a piece of the action -- I'm presuming
that there will not be TOO many cooks in the soup.

I'm not expecting miracles (though not ruling them out).
But it would be super kewl if we could open up this area
to more contributors.

Vic