Notebook Recommendation

bob smith plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:14:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Michael,
I use a Dell Inspiron 8100 and I really like it. I
have a few beefs with it like the flimsy case and the
fact that it can fry eggs under heavy load but overall
it's pretty slick. I ordered mine with an ATI Mobility
Radeon 7500. It works pretty good in X. I am able to
get the supported resolutions but I can't get full
screen video with apps like ogle and mplayer (anybody
else have this problem?). The input devices (track
stick, track pad) work fine in X. The internal Mini
PCI ethernet card and the sound card work great too.
The new "desktop replacement" model is the Inspiron
8200. It is very similar to mine but comes with a P4
instead of a PIII and the max amount of ram is 1024MB
instead of 512MB. Looks like the only available video
cards for the 8200 are the GeForce2 Go and Geforce4
440
Go. I'm not sure how well supported these are though.

Even though I like my Dell laptop. I would probably
buy a Titanium Powerbook if I could do it over again.

--- "Michael  J. Schweppe" <michael@schweppe.org>