networking Linux boxen

Paul Dickson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 01:02:42 -0700

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 19:51:09 -0400, nx54@cox.net wrote:

> I have read a lot about Samba and how to file and print share with
> Windows/Linux boxes. Would someone point me in the right direction
> on how to do the same with two RedHat Linux boxes? I finally got
> RedHat 7.3 installed on my Linux-allergic machine via a full ftp
> install, and it works great! I want to convert my other system to a
> dual-boot (for my wife) RedHat/Windows box. How do I file and print
> share amongst two Linux boxen?

Use printconf-gui that comes with RH (it's in RH 7.2, so assume it's in
7.3).  It allows you to set up a printer five different ways: local, lpd,
smb, ncp, and jetdirect.

For sharing files between linux boxes I prefer NFS.  Then the permissions
get propagated, unlike SMB.  If I were setting up new systems, I'd like to
try InterMezzo so files could be automagically shared between systems that
might be diconnected at times (like my laptop).

	-Paul