Debian woody and KDE/Other questions too

Sundar plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 10:44:57 -0700

Hello,

Since there is so much passion on Debian in our group, I thought I will
also take a dive into it.

I am installing on a Dell Dual Processor with SCSI Controller and
planning to install LTSP in future. Here are my issues:

1. Is Vanilla right flavor to try on SCSI System? (I ordered the CDs
from one of the vendors, but none of 'em could see my hard disc during
install. So, I downloaded Vanilla flavor from ww.linuxiso.org and
installation seemed to have gone smooth so far.)

2. After installation, how do I configure Xserver. I tried xf86config
and it didn't work and I latter found out the Debian is looking for a
config file in different name --XF86Config-4, rather than XF86Config.
After that I tried
  > dpkg-configure xserver-xfree86
This worked for GNOME 1.4, but failed miserably for KDE when trying to
find mouse. The error was something similar to not finding
/dev/input/mice. I am just using a regular mouse(PS/2) and monitor is
Sony VAIO.

3. Where do I find good documentation on Debian? What are the tools you
guys use often (GUI/non-GUI) to configure system.

4. I seem to really love APT; makes life much simpler. How do I see what
are the packages I have on the (entire)system.

Cheers!
Sundar