Debian Install Newbie Tips

Sat, 10 Aug 2002 00:59:45 -0700 (MST)

Am 09. Aug, 2002 schwätzte bob smith so:

> I would like to use XFree86 4.2.0 with Debian but I'm
> wondering If I should get the binaries and use the
> install script from the XFree86 site or use the
> unofficial packages available. I noticed on the
> knoppix cd that the unoffical packages were in use. My
> question is how do I do this?
>
> I tried "apt-cache search XFree86" which returned a
> few results but I did not see a version number
> anywhere. How can I install the XFree86 4.2.0
> packages? I've added brandens apt repository to my
> sources.list file.

apt-cache show xserver-xfree86 | grep ^Vers

Make sure to to an apt-get update after adding the sources.

apt-get install xserver-xfree86=<version #>

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then