Solved (SUMMARY was Re: Problems with KDE3 on SuSE 8.0)

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 09 Aug 2002 23:16:45 -0700

OK, I figured it out. For some reason, my other users had problems with
~/.xinitrc and ~/.xsession files on session startup. When I renamed BOTH of
these for the affected users, everything appeared to return to normal.

So now I'm left with a SuSE mystery: Why were the root and my normal user
account unaffected? I log in as a user to do updates, and as root on
occasion for maintenance, so perhaps it's related.

In any case, I suspect that the unsuccessful install of wdm is screwing up
the setting of $WINDOWMANAGER that both of these (.xinitrc & .xsession)
look for. They both exist by default in /etc/skel, so I'm assuming wdm was
the culprit.

I obviously need to get more familiar with the X startup flow. Having
mastered bash login script flow and init scripts, I suppose it's
going to be similar. Anyone got a good pointer to X startup info?

- Bob