review: Computer Buyer article

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 08 Aug 2002 20:09:24 -0400

Hi Hans,

<chainsaw>
Make your dates Corporate American, not European or Military.

Spell out Saturday.

Second paragraph, begins with a clause, but you are missing the comma,
making it a run-on sentence.  It should be: "Before the InstallFest
event, organizer William Lindley, a . . ."

Ditto on the third paragraph: "After the InstallFest, Jim Wejroch,
steering committee . . ."

Ditto on the fourth paragraph: "In addition to the software installs,
there were several . . ."

Parenthetical items do not have a space on each side of the parenthesis:
"( AZOTO )" should be "(AZOTO)" (multiple occurrences).

Seventh paragraph makes me ask: "What do these two sentences have to do
with each other?"  Maybe you can combine it with the previous paragraph?

Debian is a proper noun and must be capitalized in your ninth paragraph.

The first three paragraphs under "What is Free Software?" is confusing
and conflicting.  I also do not agree with it - it seems you are
comparing and contrasting Copyright Law and GNU Public Licensing, when
they actually complement each other.  Much of our beloved Free Software
is copyrighted.  It is further licensed to allow for freedom.  I suggest
plagiarizing, er, I mean, borrowing the FSF's spiel in this topic.

Last paragraph in that section mentions "the four freedoms of Free
Software" but I did not see them mentioned.  Did I miss them?  Be
explicit and put these four freedoms in front of me, or don't mention
them.

I suggest changing the wording of the first paragraph of section
"InstallFest2" to: "Due to the success of the July InstallFest, as well
as many requests for a subsequent event, PLUG has scheduled InstallFest2
at Glendale Community College on Saturday, September 28, 2002."

Third paragraph of that section - try to avoid negative words like
"not."  I suggest rewording "were designed to not have the security
holes" to "were designed to avoid the security holes"

</chainsaw>

Feeling ripped yet?

Regards,

George Toft