review: Computer Buyer article

Thu, 8 Aug 2002 13:53:26 -0700 (MST)

moin, moin,

below is the Computer Buyer article as it now stands. I need to send it in,
but please critique it for me. I want a good article to help support what
we're doing. Feel free to rip it to shreds if have problems with it.

Please also feel free to give me quotes I can use for the article. I will
probably have to shorten it a lot from where it currently stands, but I'm
gonna try to get as much covered as they'll allow and as makes sense.

I'll fix references when I get it ready to submit to CB.

ciao,

der.hans

###
Welcome to the InstallFest

What is an InstallFest?

An InstallFest is a gathering where volunteers offer expert technical
assistance in installing Free Software, usually GNU/Linux, to the
public, all free of charge. The Phoenix Linux Users Group ( PLUG
[1] ) put on a 6 hour InstallFest at Scottsdale Community College on Sat,
22Jun2002.

Before the InstallFest event organizer William Lindley, a computer
consultant, said, "This is what the Free Software community is all about -
helping each other."

After the InstallFest Jim Wejroch, steering committee member of PLUG, wrote,
'Does the word "success" ring a bell?' in describing the InstallFest. With
39 GNU/Linux installs and 150 to 200 people in attendance PLUG was very
happy with the event.

In addition to the software installs there were several presentations and
lots of giveaways from the InstallFest's commercial sponsors. Presentation
topics covered GNU/Linux and Free Software, the Linux Termninal Server
Project ( LTSP ) and Open Source On the Educational Desktop.

There was even homemade cheesecake from a presenter's grandma.

The Arizona Open Technology Organization ( AZOTO ), a non-profit dedicated
to supporting Free Software and Open Standards in Arizona, helped sponsor
the InstallFest as did Tucson-based non-profit Open Source Education
Foundation ( OSEF ), which helps schools adopt Open Source for their
technology needs.

Both groups provided presenters, people to help with the install and support
in organizing the InstallFest. OSEF has since finished the process of
earning 501(c)(3) Tax Exempt Charitable status.

Lycoris, a commercial Linux distribution, flew people in from northern
California to help with the installs. Red Hat, the most well-known
commercial Linux distribution, brought people from their Global Professional
Services organization in from Flagstaff.

There were volunteers helping install various GNU/Linux distributions
including members from the debian community. Debian is a community-based
distribution built by volunteers.

What is the LTSP?

The Linux Termninal Server Project is an innovative, cost-effective solution
to traditional desktop problems. It has been garnering much interest in
Phoenix. The LTSP allows using older, inexpensive hardware as lightning
quick desktops.

The LTSP desktops reduce maintenance costs by centralizing software
maintenance and having fewer hardware requirements, such as not needing hard
drives.

Matt Alexander, system administrator for Tempe-based NewVision, has said
that after his boss asked for an alternative desktop solution Matt was able
to save NewVision over $20,000 and provide a more stable environment for his
60 co-workers by switching to Free Software.

Matt gave a well-recieved presentation and demo of LTSP. He will
be giving a presentation again as well as helping people install the LTSP at
the upcoming InstallFest2.

What is Free Software?

The idea behind Free Software is that people using software need certain
freedoms that are not necessarily guaranteed by copyright law.

Firstly, they need to be able to use the software for whatever purpose
they choose. Next they need the freedom to study the program and make
changes. Thirdly, people need the freedom to let others use the software and
finally people need the freedom to pass on the changes they've made to the
software.

Software licenses such as the GNU General Public License ( GPL ) extend
further freedoms to those who use the software, while most commercial
software licenses actually restrict the freedoms guaranteed by copyright
law.

While it is true that most people won't be interested in changing the source
code it is important that those who want to can. Removing the source code
and the freedom to change it is similar to closing all hardware stores
and not allowing people to fix things around the house or work on their
cars. Actually, it's worse.  If one person fixes something in a program
everyone can benefit from that fix, whereas changing your lightbulb only
affects the area around that one lightbulb.

The Open Source movement is similar to the Free Software movement, but with
less emphasis on the four freedoms of Free Software. Both movements actually
draw from the same community and rely on the same model of community
involvement.

InstallFest2

Due to the success of the July InstallFest and many requests for another
one PLUG has scheduled InstallFest2 at Glendale Community College on
Sat, 28Sep2002. The second InstallFest will have some new presentations,
including OpenOffice, the BSA, Free Software Licenses, and Information
Rights.

Something PLUG is adding to the second InstallFest is help for installing
Free Software on Microsoft operating systems. Free Software that runs on
Microsoft includes things like OpenOffice, an office suite, Mozilla, a
web browser and email client, the GIMP, a graphics manipulation program,
apache, the world's most popular web server, MySQL, a database, and popular
development languages such as PHP, Perl, and Python.

One of the advantages of the Free Software email and web software is that
they were designed to not have the security holes allowing viruses that have
plagued the software that comes with the Microsoft operating systems.

There are also rumors that there will be more cheesecake at InstallFest2 :).

PLUG will be giving away CDs with demo versions of GNU/Linux that run from
the CDROM without the need to repartition the hard drive.

See the PLUG home page or write InstallFest@PLUG.phoenix.az.us for more
information about attending the InstallFest and what to bring.

An InstallFest is a prime example of community involvement. Come join the
Freedom Festival...

[1] http://PLUG.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.AZOTO.org/
http://www.OSEF.org/
http://www.Lycoris.com/
http://www.RedHat.com/
http://www.Debian.org/

--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  "... the social skills of a cow on acid." - der.hans