USA Today

David Demland plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 19:46:09 -0700

The reason is simple, if office is moved to other OSes it will lower the
barrier to entry for other companies to move to those OSes. This was a key
point in the trial and the phrase "Barrier to Entry" said a lot. If
applications do not exist on a platform companies will not support the
platform. This is an important move to allow Linux a chance to go main
stream.

It is not uncommon for file format to be keep internal. FrameMaker,
WordPerfect, and other applications have kept this as internal for many
years. This is no common standard for file formats so how can Microsoft use
a standard format.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of
der.hans
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 12:19 AM
To: Plug-discuss
Subject: Re: USA Today

Am 05. Aug, 2002 schwätzte Carl Parrish so:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/2002-08-05-microsoft-ant
itrust_x.htm

"force Microsoft to let companies translate its Office productivity software
to use on other operating systems."

Why would we want to spread the monopoly to other operating systems? Make
them use published standards for data formats then we don't need their
software.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  Science is magic explained. - der.hans