Pine / POP / IMAP / WebMail

Robert Bushman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 14:13:24 -0400 (EDT)

Pine is a very nice interface, and will probably
remain my standard client for the forseeable
future. Still, there are times on a foreign
machine when I don't feel like DL'ing Putty,
and just want to quickly check my inbox.

If you run your own server, SquirrelMail with
UW-IMAPD enables Pine, POP, IMAP and WebMail
all from one machine.

http://www.squirrelmail.org/index.php
http://www.washington.edu/imap/

And it's as easy as 1-2-3:
1. apt-get install apache-ssl
2. apt-get install uw-imapd
3. apt-get install squirrelmail

(well, not quite that easy - imapd isn't SSL'd
yet, but everything else is working like a dream)

 'Microsoft also warned today that the era of "open computing," the
 free exchange of digital information that has defined the personal
 computer industry, is ending.'

 http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/25/technology/25NET.html

 Will Microsoft permit you to use your mission critical data when
 you need it?  Linux will, and you have the source to prove it.