Linux router

Alaric Fox plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 06 Aug 2002 11:34:35 -0700

Hello, this is my first post to the list, but I have been reading for a few
weeks now (specifically, since about the time of the Maricopa County meeting).

I am going to use a standard x86PC as an intelligent switch/gateway/router, and
(at least for my first iteration --  I may transition to Free/OpenBSD later) I
am planning on using Linux (specifically Debian, probably the new release).  I
have used/developed on unices for several years now, but I haven't done much
administration/configuration with nonstandard setups.  I plan to use 5 PCI
ethernet cards (probably miscellaneous based on what spare parts are available)
to connect four nodes and to an internal network using typical Linux software.
My questions are:
1) Will this work 'out-of-the-box', or will I need to compile a custom kernel to
support all 5 adapters?
2) Does anyone see any problems I may run into with this setup that, as a new
user, I might not know exist?  I assume I'll have to create new devices
(/dev/eth0-4 or whatever).

Thank you,
Alaric