Linux article in USA

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 06 Aug 2002 08:03:06 -0400

I searched their site, and here's an article from Sunday:

The Germany-based bank sought a less-costly way to calculate risks
associated with its portfolio of investments. So it replaced 32 computer
servers, based on the time-tested Unix operating systems, at an average
cost of $50,000 each, with 40 Linux servers, at $3,000 a pop.

Then Dresdner discovered a bonus: Linux, the upstart open-source
operating system, was not only cheaper ? but also faster. The Unix
servers took 17 hours to calculate how much cash the bank needed in
reserve to offset its investment risk. The Linux servers made the same
calculation in  11 minutes.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/2002-08-04-linux_x.htm

George