Free Software for m$

Lynn David Newton plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 07:10:22 -0700

  hans> I'm putting together info on what Free Software
  hans> we want to support on m$. ...

  hans> Anything else that should be listed? Any of
  hans> that that should be left out? Are we going to
  hans> be able to support installing those on m$ boxen
  hans> at IF2?

VIM, or more correctly GVIM (Graphical VI Improved)
runs great on Windows. I downloaded it and installed it
on my XP in a couple of minutes, and recommended to the
students in my Unix/Linux class who have difficulty
getting to the school (UAT) to "practice" using vi that
they put it on their personal Windows systems and use
it permanently as their editor of choice rather than
either of those preposterous so-called plain text
editors that come with Windows.

And need I add that XEmacs is well-supported on Windows
and has been for years?[1] I have it and would run it
more myself, except that XEmacs is more of a whole
operating environment than just a text editor, and
accordingly takes lots more memory, etc., so when I
need a plain text editor for a quick job, I will just
pop up VIM. I will never again use Notepad or Wordpad
for any purpose.

Footnotes:
[1]  In contrast, GNU Emacs is *not* supported, no
doubt because of the neo-apartheid philosophies of RMS
and his cronies which will probably prevent a porting
effort from ever taking place. But that's all right,
because XEmacs is orders of magnitude better than GNU
Emacs anyhow.

--
Lynn David Newton
Phoenix, AZ