Sound in Debian

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 07:59:17 -0700

> >  I have installed Debian 3.0 and it seems the kernel does not have
> >  sound
> > support. The sound card is a Soundblaster Live Value on an Abit KG7
> > mobo. I have experienced no other probs to date with Debian. I used
> > the base install CD and kernel sources were not installed with
> > taskel. (not a dselect fan). What would be the easiest way to
> > compile sound into the kernel and install the sources for either the
> > installed 2.2 kernel or maybe go for an upgrade to a 2.4 kernel?

How did you try to install sound?  If not via modconf I highly suggest
you try using modconf.

> I'd say go for the 2.4 kernel. I don't think 2.2 had support for the
> SB Live. Not sure they ever got it into the kernel for 2.4. Make sure
> the card is supported.
>
> For the most part stick with the pre-compiled kernels from debian.
> They're great for most people/situations.

I agree more than 100% here.  I would try to get a 2.4 kernel image.
Debian usually has stock kernels that support about everything that is
stable.  While building your own kernel can be 'cool', generally its not
what I would suggest for machines that are production or that you want
good support on. ;)

If you are jumping to 2.4, you might as well upgrade from lilo to grub,
and if you are still running ext2 move on up to ext3. ;)

-Derek