Bruce Perens on OSI

Robert Bushman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 21:52:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, der.hans wrote:

> Am 02. Aug, 2002 schwätzte Robert Bushman so:
>
> > Nothing really wrong per-se with click-wrapping (for
> > example) a GPL program, as long as clicking "I Refuse"
> > has no effect on the installation or functionality
> > of the software (Free Software only requires agreement
> > for modification and redistribution).
>
> Not quite true, I'd think. The license also grants you the right to use the
> software. Before that is granted you're not allowed to use it.

I think Receipt of the GPL'd code grants full
rights under copyright. This includes compilation
and execution.

  Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
  covered by this License; they are outside its scope.

I'd even contend that the modification part
wouldn't hold up without a clickwrap, and
would only hold up with a clickwrap to the
extent that the corrupt judicial and executive
would choose to illegally enforce the UCITA.