Conexant HSFLinmodem problem

Gontran Zepeda plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 18:49:19 -0700

<delurk reason="summons">

% Lee Chen (Lee@NGInterface.com) wrote:
> Hi Gontran,
>    I found your post on
> [[ url ]]
> about Conexant modem on Compaq Presario 1700T. I have this exact hardware

I'm very sorry to hear that. :)

> model and am trying to get my modem working.
>
>    My bash system couldn't find "lspci," so I used cat /proc/pci, and found
> the following:
> [[ ... ]]
>    Communication controller: Conexant HSF 56k Data/Fax Modem (rev 1).
> [[ ... ]]

I'm skeptical that we chave the _exact_ hardware according to this data, but
the controller is identical.

Hopefully you won't do any of the following, but will -- instead -- go buy
yourself a _good_ laptop with a working modem or carry around the docking
station (since the bludy 1700T doesn't have any serial ports ... 'looks so
modern!') with an external serial modem. :)

Further, using this driver is a 'bad thing', IMHO.  It taints the running
kernel with non-GPL binary modules and may cause you intermitent pangs of
remorse or guilt over your purchase of this laptop and/or your laziness for
NOT tote-ing around said bulky and expensive hardware to preserve your
freedom.

Towit:

Jul 31 21:38:46 rythm insmod: Warning: loading
/lib/modules/2.4.18-xfs/misc/hsfbasic2.o will taint the kernel: non-GPL
license - Copyright (C) 1996-2001 Conexant Systems Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Jul 31 21:38:46 rythm insmod:   See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s1-18 for
information about tainted modules
Jul 31 21:38:46 rythm insmod: Module hsfbasic2 loaded, with warnings

Even worse, I'm suspicious the module is causing random lock-ups, YMMV.
Though recent evidence shows otherwise.

> so I downloaded the HSF lin modem driver from
[[ rpmfind urls; installed rpms ]]

With regard to versioning, I've used hsflinmodem-4.06.06.01mbsibeta01121400
previously and hsflinmodem-5.03.03.L2mbsibeta02052300 currently, both with
success.  That being said, I installed from source.  Fortunately this should
not be a problem for you: the instructions are good.  HOwever, it is probably
not necessary since you've already installed the rpms.

http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv for source.

> the result said that my modem should be accessible as /dev/ttySHSF0 or
> through the symbolic link /dev/modem.

After this process you should be able to list /dev/ttySH* long and see the
device file, aso:

# ls -tl /dev/ttySH*
crw-------    1 root     root     240,  64 Dec 31  1969 /dev/ttySHSF0

If you don't have that device, you'll want to run the hsfconfig utility which
will create the device for you and insmod the appropriate modules:

# hfsconfig --serial
 ... output ...
# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
hsfbasic2              93884   2  (autoclean)
hsfserial              17024   0  (autoclean) (unused)
hsfengine             890732   0  (autoclean) [hsfserial]
hsfosspec              19120   0  (autoclean) [hsfbasic2 hsfengine]
#

> ... I tried ...
> echo "atdt5555309" > /dev/ttySHSF0

Here is where you should consult your favorite Modem-HOWTO with your ISP
information in hand, substituting /dev/ttyS[0123] with /dev/ttySHSF0.  If
your modules are loaded and the device is there you're only remaining
obstacle is configuration. 8)

> Thanks.
>
> --
> [[ ... ]]
> -Developing Software and Interfaces of Tomorrow-

heh.

Cheers. HTH.

</delurk>
<lurk />