Bruce Perens on OSI

Jim plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 17:28:04 -0700

Sit, grasshopper.  Listen and learn.

You released your superfantastic program under the GPL.  With that act, you
did not give up any of your rights as the author, but you did give certain
freedoms to the recipient - the freedom to run the program (for any purpose),
the freedom to redistribute the program ( with or without a charge), the
freedom to modify the program, and the freedom to distribute any modified
version of the program.   The GPL restrictions apply to me if i redistribute
the program, modified or not.  The GPL requires me to insure that whatever I
redistribute has at least the same freedoms that I received.

Noticeably absent from any provision in the GPL is the price I may charge
either for a copy of the original program or any modified version.  The GPL
guarantees the four freedoms but does not restrict me from charging whatever
the market may bear for copies of the program.  It also allows you to compete
with my distribution/redistribution because you can either market the
original program at a lower cost - even free or sell my modified version,
because the GPL applies to the changes that I have made.

Go ponder, grasshopper.