Bruce Perens on OSI

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 02 Aug 2002 14:55:21 -0700

OK.  I am with you guys.  Click-wrap "feels un-Free."

Now, not trolling, just interested in the discussion, what do you see wrong
with a click-wrap license that is Free?

Let's say I put a click-wrap around a license that is simply a rewording of
the GPL, granting the same redistribution, editing, etc. rights as the
GPL.  I can see two things bad about that:

1. As I stated, it "feels un-Free"  This is not to be taken lightly.  It
really changes the whole "flavor" of Free Software toward the bitter side.

2. As Derek sites, the GPL really only goes in force (is accepted) at the
time of redistribution so a click-wrap before even using the software seems
like the wrong time to require a physical acceptance action by the
user.  But, implementing a click-wrap at redistribution time is not really
possible.

What else is so bad about it?  Or, perhaps these two reasons are enough to
call a click-wrap unacceptable for Open Source / Free Software.

Alan