ghost fonts/images

KevinO plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 17:10:43 -0700

These really are ghosts, in the sense that they are caused in a similar way to
the ones you see on a TV screen. The signals are 'bouncing' off the wiring in
your system, instead of nearby buildings. Turning down your refresh rate
should help to make them less obvious.

The impedance of the transmission line(s) that are carrying the video signal
from the chipset on the video card to the guts of your monitor do not have a
constant characteristic impedance. This causes reflections which leads to your
monitor 'seeing' the same signal more than once. Using a lower sweep rate
brings these 'ghost' images closer together on the screen. Using better
monitors, cards and cables helps prevent them in the first place.

The worst examples I've seen were on computers with el-cheapo(tm) on board
video built into the motherboard.

KevinO