Linux for small business

Bob Cober plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 15:39:26 -0700

Tom - I agree with you that not all software should not be free.  I believe
there is nothing wrong with charging money for software in some
circumstances, and keeping the source closed.

However, I also believe that the open-source , free software model is
perfect for certain types of software.  I also think it can produce a
superior product.  Take a Web Server for example.  Apache is an outstanding
product.  It is needed by millions of people and actively developed by
thousands of developers.  Sendmail is another example.  But the best example
is the Linux kernel itself.

For these types of "commodity software", open-source leverages the talents
of a large number of developers and testers to create a product that would
be difficult and expensive to reproduce in a closed-environment.  An
Operating System should be developed by society for society.  Think of it
like freeway system.  Society builds it for society.  Nobody "owns" the
freeway.  Another analogy would be our government process.  Nobody "owns"
the way a democracy runs.  The processes and checks and balances are public,
free, knowledge.

As a software user, you are much better off using open-source than
closed-source.  By using open-source you empower yourself and others the
ability to maintain, modify, and enhance your software.  As a software user
if there are 2 identical products, 1 open 1 closed, you should opt for the
open one.  But not all products are availible closed-source, nor should they
be.

Open-source can be good(especially for users).  Closed-source can be
good(especially for developers that need to make money selling their
software).

;-)
Bob