BYO or manufactured?

Tom Achtenberg plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 17:34:18 -0700

Last Monday SuSE 8.3 was released officially supporting and using KDE 3.0 as
it'd default desktop.  As for patience, KDE and Mandrake both claim to have
"official" KDE 3 RPM's.  I'm only applying the same logic most people on
this list apply to Microsoft.  MS gets no slack, why should anyone else.  If
they released it it should be ready.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig White" <craigwhite@azapple.com>
To: <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2002 10:14 AM
Subject: Re: BYO or manufactured?

On Thu, 2002-04-25 at 18:03, Tom Achtenberg wrote:
> Better read the Red Hat readme on kde.org  It specifically states Red Hat
> refuses to support KDE officially.  Red Hat 7.2 is not rawhide either and
> avoid beta software whenever possible.  Too many people on this and other
> lists have had problems with KDE 3.0 and Red Hat anything.

--------
I could be wrong on this but I don't think that as of yesterday - when
you wrote this - that any distro OFFICIALLY supported KDE 3.0.

So I fail to understand the point that you are trying to make - yes, KDE
3 is out there, yes, it will be officially supported in many of the
upcoming releases of distro's.

Moreover, KDE 3 hasn't been available for a month yet and  to think that
all of the dependencies have been resolved and ready for prime time is
not a reasonable expectation. If you haven't noticed it yet, even when
the distro's come out with their releases featuring KDE 3, there are
likely to be some bug fixes as software is a very imperfect world. Bero
packaged KDE 3 for redhat and for KDE and he would be the first to admit
that it hadn't gone altogether as nicely as he had hoped.

I remember stating that you were likely to have a bunch of problems
updating to KDE 3 on your RedHat 7.2 and you gloating how you had gotten
it to work. Sorry it didn't meet your expectations but that is the way
things go when you try to live on the edge of latest releases - you
either learn how to resolve the issues or suffer the consequences.

You would probably do well if you learned a little patience.

Craig

---